Monday, January 22, 2007

Danny

he belongs to the blue
that comes
twice a day
at once to wake
and then
to lull

the storm
last night
was so seamless
I could squint
and imagine
the drops weren’t
coming down
as if the lake
could
rain
into
the sky

driving down
Houston
we keep saying
how we’re going
to miss
this
city
but it’s
not the streets
and the bars
that will be
hard
to live
without

it is
this boy
who makes me
dinner
and stays up
all night
trying
to figure out
why it is
that I can’t
sleep

sometimes
when it is quiet
he looks
at me
and then away
and in his eyes
there is something
big
that always
makes me
small
not insignificant
just quiet
and small

at me
and then away
as if to say
there are battles
words
warring
with each other
as if he needs
a moment

to keep
these thoughts
from murdering
one
another

to stop
the sun
from
swallowing
up the
moon

I watch him
and know
all he wants
is to ask
the rain
if it could
rip apart
the blue above
and leave us
standing
in this
silence

in this
raging
calm
below

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home